A charge of a lewd or indecent proposal to a child in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a serious felony crime. Lewd and indecent is a very broad term that covers most sexual contact in Tulsa.
A conviction for a sex crime in Tulsa can stay with you for life, especially with sex offender registry requirements.
An immediate consultation with an experienced Tulsa criminal attorney is recommended to best build a defense against such a charge.
What is a Lewd or Indecent Proposal to a Child in Tulsa?
Lewd and indecent proposals explained:
A person may be charged in Tulsa, Oklahoma for making a lewd or indecent proposal to a child if he knowingly and intentionally does any of the following:
- Makes any lewd or indecent proposal to any child under 16 years of age, or other individual the person believes to be a child under 16 years of age, for the child to have unlawful sexual relations or sexual intercourse with any person. The proposal can be oral, written, electronically, or computer-generated.
- Looks upon, touches, mauls, or feels the body or private parts of any child under 16 years of age in any lewd or lascivious manner.
- Asks, invites, entices, or persuades any child under 16 years of age, to go alone with any person to a secluded, remote, or secret place, with the unlawful and willful intent and purpose then and there to commit any crime against public decency and morality with the child; or
- lewdly or lasciviously looks upon, touches, mauls, or feels the body or private parts of any child under 16 years of age in any indecent manner or in any manner relating to sexual matters or sexual interest; or
- in a lewd and lascivious manner and for the purpose of sexual gratification.
- Urinates or defecates upon a child under 16 years of age.
- Ejaculates upon or in the presence of a child.
- Causes, exposes, forces or requires a child to look upon the body or private parts of another person.
- Forces or requires any child under 16 years of age to view any obscene materials, child pornography, or materials deemed harmful to minors.
- Causes, exposes, forces, or requires a child to look upon sexual acts performed in the presence of the child, or
- forces or requires a child to touch or feel the body or private parts of the child or another person. (Okla. Stat. tit. 21 § 1123)
A lewd or indecent proposal to a child in Tulsa is a felony punishable by three to 20 years in prison.
If the victim is under 12 at the time the acts are committed, a lewd or indecent proposal to a child is punishable by a minimum of 25 years in prison. The offender shall not be eligible for probation or suspended or deferred sentences.
A third or subsequent violation shall be guilty of a felony crime, punishable by imprisonment of life or life without parole. (Okla. Stat. tit. 21 § 1123)
Free Consultation: Tulsa Criminal Defense Attorney
If you or someone you know has been accused of making a lewd or indecent proposal to a child in Oklahoma, please contact a Tulsa criminal defense attorney to discuss your available legal options.
Consult with an experienced attorney at the Tulsa Criminal Defense Law Firm today, by calling 918-756-9600 or toll-free at 1-888-447-7262.
If you prefer, you can use the box in the upper right-hand corner of this page to send a question or brief message.